Click en ENTRADAS ANTIGUAS.
Below, more information.

If you click on the picture you will find all information that you need to learn English

If you click on the picture you  will find all information that you need to learn English
Practica listenings, readings, speaking, writing, grammar, vocabulary and more....

miércoles, 12 de enero de 2011

CONDITIONALS. TYPE I, II and III. EXERCIXES AND EXPLANATIONS

CONDITIONALS

ZERO CONDITIONAL. La condición ES UNA REALIDAD. 
VERDADES UNIVERSALES.
HECHOS CIERTOS
CAUSAS-EFECTOS LÓGICOS

Cuando el "if" va al principio de la oración, hay que  separar con una coma ambas oraciones.
Present perfect and continuos forms can be used.

IF + SIMPLE PRESENT
SIMPLE PRESENT
If it rains,
 you get wet
It smells
if you heat ice

FIRST CONDITIONAL. Hay muchas posibilidades de que se cumpla la condición, pero no es 100% seguro y se refiere al FUTURO. REAL

IF + SIMPLE PRESENT,
SIMPLE FUTURE (WILL+INFINITIVE VERB)

She’ll (she will) buy a house,
 if she wins the lotery
If the dog is ill,
we will take him to the vet
If he does not arrive soon,
I will phone his parents
If it doesn’t rain this winter,
there won’t (will not) be enough water
You will be able  to download music, 
 if you install this program

ATENCIÓN:  NO  SE DEBE UTILIZAR “WILL + CAN”.

Se utiliza “will be able to” en oraciones afirmativas e interrogativas.

Se utiliza “won’t be able to” en oraciones negativas.

Cuando empezamos la frase con “will”  o “won’t” no se pone una coma

Se pueden usar verbos modales como must, can, should......

If we are lucky, there may be a good film on TV tonight
You can come with me if you want

También  se usa as soon as (tan pronto como), until (hasta), before, after, unless (if not, negativo de IF, significa, al menos que, si no), a parte de IF/ WHETHER (Si).

Whether indica que hay varias opciones o alternativas y normalmente requiere de "or"" "or not. Se usa con frecuencia para "yes"/no opciones.

Tell Rachel whether you want chicken or beef for dinner.  Paul didn’t know whether Susan would arrive on Monday.
Paul didn’t know if Susan would arrive on Monday. 


I won't send you a postcard unless I have your address.
As soon as I arrive home, I'll phone you

“Whether” shows choices or alternatives and generally requires an “or.” “Or not” is often used for yes/no choices. “Whether” by itself can hint at both positive and negative possibilities.
Whether or not you are going to the party, please call.
Let us know whether the school is open.

WILL + SIMPLE PRESENT
IF+SIMPLE PRESENT
Unless he practises every day, 
 he won’t pass his driving test
What will happen
if they copy in the exam?
How much money Karen spend
if she go shopping now?
If  I do not have your address,
 I won't send you a postcard

SENCOND CONDITIONAL.  La condición es improbable de que se cumpla en el presente, es algo imaginario, algo irreal ahora, aunque hay alguna posibilidad de que se cumpla en un futuro.
HABLAMOS DE HIPÓTESIS. UNREAL
Past continuos form can be used.

IF + SIMPLE PAST,

PRESENTE CONDITIONAL (WOULD+INFINITIVE VERB)
If she won the lotery,
 she would buy a house
If the dog wasn’t ill,
 we wouldn’t take him to the vet
If I won some money,
I wouldn’t buy a car
If I felt tired this evening,
I wouldn’t go out

ATENCIÓN:  NO  SE DEBE UTILIZAR “WOULD + CAN”.

Se utiliza “would be able to” en oraciones afirmativas e interrogativas.

Se utiliza “wouldn’t be able to” en oraciones negativas.

WOULD+INFINITIVE VERB
IF + SIMPLE PAST
I would take an aspirin,
if I had a headache
I wouldn’t buy a car,
if I won some money
He wouldn’t walk to school,
if he didn’t have a motorbike
If you lived in Germany,
You would speak German,
        
La palabra ”if” hace referencia a una acción que nunca sucedió. Whether (enfatizar) significa lo mismo que IF.
La palabra ”would” y “wouldn’t” indican las consecuencias que habría tenido la acción.

THIRD CONDITIONAL. 100% imposible. Nunca se cumple la condición. UNREAL

IF + PAST PERFECT,
 WOULD HAVE+PAST PARTICIPE)
If it had rained,
 you would have got wet
 you would have seen my brother
if you had come

Example: If I find her address, I’ll send her an invitation

The main clause can also be at the beginning of the sentence. In this case, don't use a comma.
Example: I will send her an invitation if I find her address.

Note: Main clause and / or if clause might be negative. See Simple Present und will-Future on how to form negative sentences.
Example: If I don’t see him this afternoon, I will phone him in the evening.

Use

Conditional Sentences Type I refer to the future. An action in the future will only happen if a certain condition is fulfilled by that time. We don't know for sure whether the condition actually will be fulfilled or not, but the conditions seems rather realistic – so we think it is likely to happen.

Example: If I find her address, I’ll send her an invitation.

I want to send an invitation to a friend. I just have to find her address. I am quite sure, however, that I will find it.

Example: If John has the money, he will buy a Ferrari.

I know John very well and I know that he earns a lot of money and that he loves Ferraris. So I think it is very likely that sooner or later he will have the money to buy a Ferrari.


Complete the Conditional Sentences Type I
  • If you (wash) the dishes, I (cook) dinner tonight.
  • If my dad (have) time next week, we (paint) my room.
  • You (learn) a lot about American history if you (visit) the exhibition.
  • If the weather (be / not) too bad tomorrow, we (play) golf.
  • We (get / not) there on time if we (catch / not) the bus.

Conditional Sentence Type II

Form: if + Simple Past, Conditional I (= would + Infinitive)
Example: If I found her address, I would send her an invitation

The main clause can also be at the beginning of the sentence. In this case, don't use a comma.
Example: I would send her an invitation if I found her address.

Note: Main clause and / or if clause might be negative.

See Simple Past und Conditional I on how to form negative sentences.
Example: If I had a lot of money, I wouldn’t stay here.

Were instead of Was

In IF Clauses Type II, we usually use ‚were‘ – even if the pronoun is I, he, she or it –.
Example: If I were you, I would not do this.

Use

Conditional Sentences Type II refer to situations in the present. An action could happen if the present situation were different. I don't really expect the situation to change, however. I just imagine „what would happen if …“

Example: If I found her address, I would send her an invitation.

I would like to send an invitation to a friend. I have looked everywhere for her address, but I cannot find it. So now I think it is rather unlikely that I will eventually find her address.

Example: If John had the money, he would buy a Ferrari.

I know John very well and I know that he doesn't have much money, but he loves Ferraris. He would like to own a Ferrari (in his dreams). But I think it is very unlikely that he will have the money to buy one in the near future.

Exercises

Complete the Conditional Sentences Type II.
  • If I (have) more time, I (learn) to play the guitar.
  • If she (study) harder, she (get) better marks.
  • If we (know) more about history, we (be / not) afraid of the test.
  • I (go) jogging with Tom and Sue if they (be) here this week.
  • It (surprise) me if she (help / not) you.

Conditional Sentence Type I or II

Complete the sentences with the correct form (Type I or II).
  • If you need the car in the afternoon, I shopping in the morning.
  • If I a hat, I would look like an old woman.
  • I'll buy this bag if they it in blue.
  • She wouldn't pay cash if she a credit card.
  • If I didn't have you, I what to do.
  1. If you do your homework now, we to the cinema in the evening.
  2. If we the book now, we will have it tomorrow.
  3. If I had more money, I a bigger car.
  4. If I my favourite movie star, I would ask him for an autograph.
  5. I you if I need your help.
  6. I would go swimming if the weather better.
  7. If he time tomorrow, we will meet the day after.
  8. If I were you, I what to do.
  9. If we don't order the tickets soon, there any tickets left.
  10. She that if she were your friend.

IF Clause Type III

Form: if + Past Perfect, Conditional II (= would + have + Past Participle)
Example: If I had found her address, I would have sent her an invitation

The main clause can also be at the beginning of the sentence. In this case, don't use a comma.
Example: I would have sent her an invitation if I had found her address.
Note: Main clause and / or if clause might be negative. See Past Perfect and Conditional II on how to form negative sentences.
Example: If I hadn’t studied, I wouldn’t have passed my exams.

Use

Conditional Sentences Type III refer to situations in the past. An action could have happened in the past if a certain condition had been fulfilled. Things were different then, however. We just imagine, what would have happened if the situation had been fulfilled.

Example: If I had found her address, I would have sent her an invitation.
Sometime in the past, I wanted to send an invitation to a friend. I didn't find her address, however. So in the end I didn't send her an invitation.
Example: If John had had the money, he would have bought a Ferrari.
I knew John very well and I know that he never had much money, but he loved Ferraris. He would have loved to own a Ferrari, but he never had the money to buy one.

 EXERCISE TYPE III

Complete the Conditional Sentences Type III.
  1. If the midfielders the ball more exactly, our team more chances to attack.
  2. If the forwards faster, they more goals.
  3. Their motivation if they a goal during the first half.
  4. The fullbacks one or the other goal if they their opponents.
  5. If the goalie up, he the ball.
  6. If the referee the foul, he a penalty kick to our team.
  7. Our team in better form if they harder the weeks before.
  8. The game better if the trainer a substitute in during the second half.
  9. If it a home game, our team the match.
  10. If our team the match, they up in the league.
TYPE I,II or III

Complete the Conditional Sentences. Decide whether to use Type I, II or III.
  1. If I had time, I shopping with you.
  2. If you English, you will get along with them perfectly.
  3. If they had gone for a walk, they the lights off.
  4. If she to see us, we will go to the zoo.
  5. I would have told you, if I him.
  6. Would you mind if I the window?
  7. If they me, I wouldn't have said no.
  8. My friend me at the station if he gets the afternoon off.
  9. If I it, nobody would do it.
  10. If my father me up, I'll take the bus home.
EXERCISES

1. I wish I __________ all that money, or I would have enough left to buy a new car.
a) hadn't spent
b) didn't spend
c) wouldn't have spent
d) won't spend

2. If you __________ to follow me, I'll show you to your table.
a) like
b) will like
c) are like
d) would like

3. If it hadn't been for the last question, she __________ a perfect score on the test.
a) will get
b) would get
c) got
d) would have got

4. If only the neighbours __________ their music down!
a) turn
b) will turn
c) would turn
d) were turn


 LOOK FOR THE ANSWERS 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

This blog is not belong to AAEOIL. This only publishes information about it

Entradas populares

RECIPES

RECIPES
Click on the picture

FISH AND CHIPS RECIPE

PANCAKES RECIPE

CHAPLIN'S MOVIES

CHAPLIN'S MOVIES
CLICK ON THE PICTURE
Sources where we have find the educational material and movies which are being published in this blog: peliculasid, peliculashd, tucinecom, gnula, peliculas-flv, conecta 2, smotri, mirafriends, seriesyonkis, tv.blinks, esl-lounge, NEF, breakingnews, 5minutenglish, agendaweb, series911, Gnula, danko, teleepisodes, BBC, a4esl, seriales.us.....

MEMENTO DE BUENA FÉ Y COLABORACIÓN CON LAS FUENTES DEL MATERIAL DEL BLOG

El material didáctico y las peliculas contenidas en este blog, tienen el objetivo de ser una herramienta más, para favorecer el aprendizaje de idiomas, y no con ánimo de lucro. Los estudiantes utilizan nuestro blog para estudiar las destrezas que tienen que superar en los exámenes.
Este blog no es responsable del contenido de los enlaces externos para ver series, peliculas, etc. Thanks VK.

Este blog no comercializa ni se lucra de ninguna forma del material publicado en el mismo, cuyas fuentes en su mayoría, es la propia red. Nosotros no publicamos banners ni ningún tipo de publicidad.

En caso de reclamaciones por parte de las fuentes de dicho material, procederemos a eliminarlo de nuestro de blog, de inmediato, ya que nuestra intención ha sido de buena fé, y en ningún momento nos hemos lucrado del material de otros.

VERY IMPORTANT

This blog has been created by a student in a personal way with the aim of sharing the information in it with the rest of the students, therefore the E.O.I.of Lorca has no responsability for the comments or any information contained in this blog.
Thanks to those people who, without partipatining in the contents of the blog, have written giving us their support.
Through this blog we want to thank the teachers for their e-mails of support and good advice which helped us to improve the eoistudents' stuff.
As students we commit grammatical errors when we write our comments which we continue trying to correct.
Thanks also to the many students who have visited the blog and have written telling us how much effort that we have made to make the contents helpful to those who are learning English and they encourage us to continue with this proyect.
The educational material comes from approved sources dedicated to the learning of English. Most of it do not own.
If there are any errors it is because those sources already contain them and not as a result of the work of the creators of the blog, even the books we always use in class contain some errors.