King Henry VIII had six wives. Listen to the story and say if each of his wives died, was divorced, or was executed.
- Catherine of Aragon - died / divorced or executed ?
- Anne Boleyn - died / divorced or executed ?
- Jayne Seymour - died / divorced or executed ?
- Anne of Cleves - died / divorced or executed ?
- Katharine Howard - died / divorced or executed ?
- Katharine Parr - died / divorced or executed ?
Listening Task 2
Read these notes about the listening carefully. Can you remember any of the missing information?Catherine of Aragon
Married when he was _____ and she was _____. Daughter of King and Queen of Spain. Had a daughter named _______, but they never had a son.
Married Henry in _______. Arrested, accused of ________ and imprisoned in the Tower of London. Executed in 1536.
Gave birth to a ______, but died two weeks later. Only married for two years.
Anne of Cleves
A _______ princess. When he saw her, Henry though she looked like a ______.
Only ______ years old.
Had already been married _______. Married until Henry died on _________.
Now listen again and complete the notes, using words, numbers and dates you hear. Check your answers carefully. Students at Upper-Intermediate Level should get at least 8 correct.
Can you answer these questions?
- Why did Henry want a son?
- Who wouldn’t give Henry a divorce from his first wife?
- Why did Henry’s relationship with his second wife, Anne Boleyn, deteriorate?
- Why did Henry think Anne of Cleves was beautiful before he met her?
- Which of his wives did Henry love the most?
Listen again if necessary.
Vocabulary:1. the Pope, 2. Adultery, 3. Deteriorate, 4. Pregnant, 5. Arrested, 6. Imprisoned, 7. innocent, 8. divorce
Listening Task 2:Catherine of Aragon: Married when Henry was __18___ and Catherine was __24___. Had a daughter named _______, but they never had a son.
Anne Boleyn: -Married Henry in ___1533____. Arrested, accused of ____adultery____ and imprisoned in the Tower of London. Executed in 1536.
Jayne Seymour: Gave birth to a ___son___, but died two weeks later.
Anne of Cleves: A ___German____ princess. When he saw her, Henry though she looked like a __horse____.
Katharine Howard: Only ___15___ years old.
Katharine Parr: Had already been married ____twice___. Married until Henry died on ____January 28th, 1574_____.